I’ve been plugging away at Book Riot’s Read Harder challenge, and it looks like I’m almost done! I only have a third of the books left to go. I think I can do it!
Bold sections are the parts of the challenge I haven’t accomplished yet.
- Read a book about sports. – Lord of Misrule by Jaime Gordon
- Read a debut novel. – Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
- Read a book about books. – The Emotional Craft of Fiction by Donald Maass (This totally counts imo!)
- Read a book set in Central or South America, written by a Central or South American author. – The Story of My Teeth. I’m in the middle of reading this, but I haven’t finished it yet.
- Read a book by an immigrant or with a central immigration narrative. – In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Read an all-ages comic. – El Deafo by Cece Bell
- Read a book published between 1900 and 1950. – I want to read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.
- Read a travel memoir. – Eat Pray Love maybe?
- Read a book you’ve read before. – The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Read a book that is set within 100 miles of your location. – Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
- Read a book that is set more than 5000 miles from your location. – Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- Read a fantasy novel. – Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- Read a nonfiction book about technology. – From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
- Read a book about war. Maybe I’ll finally get around to reading A Very Long Engagement.
- Read a YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+. Tell Me How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farzian
- Read a book that has been banned or frequently challenged in your country. The Color Purple – I think there was a local court case about this one a few years ago.
- Read a classic by an author of color. – Native Son by Richard Wright
- Read a superhero comic with a female lead. – Wonder Woman, Volume 1: Blood by Brian Azzarello , Cliff Chiang , Tony Akins , Dan Green , Matthew Wilson , Jared K. Fletcher
- Read a book in which a character of color goes on a spiritual journey. – Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
- Read an LGBTQ+ romance novel – The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters
- Read a book published by a micropress. – This weird thing.
- Read a collection of stories by a woman. – Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Read a collection of poetry in translation on a theme other than love. – I Am the Beggar of the World: Landays from Contemporary Afghanistan, translated by…
- Read a book wherein all point-of-view characters are people of color. – The Sellout by Paul Beatty
Follow me on Goodreads for more book recs and to keep up with my reading challenge progress!
I loved The Paying Guests!! Such a good choice for that category. Interested to hear what you think of The Story of My Teeth. I listened to the audio and it was very, very different from most books I read.