As of right now, I’ve read 117 books this year. My goal was 115. Go me!
I wrote one novel (and 5 agents are reading it right now!), and I’m halfway through writing another.
I did a post about Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenge a few months back, and I’m still as much of a Book Riot fangirl as ever. Facebook suggested Liberty Hardy as a friend today, and I had a little mini flip out. We have two friends in common! Squee! I didn’t request, but I’m just sayin’…
Anyway… I’m not sure I’ve made much progress on this. I have a month to go, so let’s see what I need to fill in the blanks.
- Read a horror book: Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Read a nonfiction book about science: The Shallows by Nicholas Carr, Quiet by Susan Cain, Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan
- Read a collection of essays: Wall Flower at the Orgy by Nora Ephron, Shrill by Lindy West, which I love, even though I’m pretty sure I wrote a mean comment on one of her pieces one time, and now I feel like a total butthole.
- Read a book out loud to someone else – I read the Little Mermaid to my dog. Don’t judge me. For an English teacher, I really do HATE reading out loud.
- Read a middle grade novel: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
- Read a biography (not a memoir or autobiography): Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, The Aviators by Winston Groom (love love LOVE), The Wright Brothers by David McCullough, Seabiscuit (this is totally a biography of a horse) by Laura Hillenbrand
- Read a dystopian or post-apocalyptic novel: Station Eleven by Emil St. John Mandel – I am really over this genre. Done.
- Read a book originally published in the decade you were born: Tuesdays with Morrie (1997) by Mitch Albom
- Listen to an audio book that has won an Audie Award: The Martian by Andy Weir
- Read a book over 500 pages long: (CRAP I haven’t done this yet. UGH.) But I’m reading The Sport of Kings, so I need to finish that…
- Read a book under 100 pages: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
- Read a book by or about a person who identifies as transgender ~ The Danish Girl (But I’m open to suggestions.) (I haven’t done this yet either. Grrrr…
- Read a book that is set in the Middle East: Chronicle of a Last Summer by Yasmine El Rashidi (not my favorite)
- Read a book that is by an author from Southeast Asia ~ The Sympathizer (Still on my TBR)
- Read a book of historical fiction set before 1900 – Wolf Hall (Still on my TBR) – But maybe I, Claudius?
- Read the first book in a series by a person of color – The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin (I literally bought this and I haven’t read it yet!)
- Read a non-superhero comic that debuted in the last three years ~ Lumberjanes
- Read a book that was adapted into a movie, then watch the movie (debate which is better): The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I taught this book, and I watched the Leonardo DiCaprio version with my classes. The book is way better, but I love me some Leo, and the sound track was boss.
- Read a nonfiction book about feminism or dealing with feminist themes: Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay (I also read Shrill by Lindy West.)
- Read a book about religion (fiction or nonfiction): His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
- Read a book about politics, in your country or another (fiction or nonfiction): Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Read a food memoir: Kitchen Confidential (Is that a food memoir? idk.) I definitely just bought Eat, Pray, Love. Don’t judge me. It was a buck at the library sale. 😀
- Read a play: Medea by Euripides
- Read a book about a main character who has a mental illness: All the Bright Places (which I hated so much I won’t link to it) / Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (which I loved)
SO I still need to read:
- a book over 500 pages long – The Sport of Kings
- a book by or about a person who identifies as transgender – maybe If I Was Your Girl
- a book of historical fiction set before 1900 – I ,Claudius
- the first book in a series by a person of color – The Fifth Season
- a food memoir – Eat, Pray, Love (lol)
This is doable in 30 days, right? Any suggestions?
Your productivity is commendable and your enthusiasm is felt. 👏👏👏🙏